Friday, November 1, 2013

Swimming

   This week for swimming, I attended the Austisa Sports Club for practices on Monday and Friday from 6:00 to 8:30 (pm).
    For this week me and my coach (Mr. Perera) mainly focused on improving my 25m sprints, most importantly on my freestyle and breaststroke. In the start of the training session, we first started stretching. I lead the stretch session (developing leadership skills), it was my first time leading activities in swimming, so I was a bit nervous, yet excited, as I had to lead a big group of people. It was tougher than I thought, it was hard to keep everyone on track with me, most people got confused as to which stretch we were doing. Overall, it was a new experience for me.
    When we got to the swimming we carried off planned and initiated activities, we started off by a 1000m freestyle swim, which was tough, as I've only done swimming this long a couple times before, so I was still developing my endurance in swimming (developing new skills), and since it was still a relatively new experience I was undertaking new challenges, which were out of comfort zone. This will help improve my skills in swimming, and in day to day life, as I will be more comfortable and enthusiastic to take on new challenges in life.
    Later we moved on to 50m freestyle and 2nd stroke kicks. It was particularly difficult, especially for me as my kick for freestyle is very weak and my endurance in swimming is even weaker, but it was a good opportunity for me to improve my kick, for both my freestyle and breaststroke (which I am more comfortable with).
    During the last half an hour of swimming, I suggested we carried out some 25m sprints, just to check our overall improvement at the end of the activities (planning and initiating activities). We did three 25m sprints; two freestyle, and one second stroke (any stroke besides freestyle). For the freestyle sprints; I achieved a timing of 14.95 seconds, for the first one and 16.23seconds for the second time. The 14.95 seconds timing was quite an improvement for, from my usual 15 seconds for freestyle, especially since freestyle is not my strongest stroke For the second stroke (I did breaststroke), I achieved a timing of 20. 4 seconds, which wasn't an improvement, but still a decent timing. Although I was not developing skills, I was developing existing skills, which I believe is also very important, not only in sports and activities, but in life too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment